Thursday, July 21, 2022

take back your wonderful life

The goodbyes continue apace; today was a lot, and I'm rapidly nearing the end. I had to be at the office by nine, where my boss's staff said goodbye to me (including an overly long playing of most of 'Paperback Writer' to start). Then I had meetings pretty much straight through until four; some of them were goodbyes, and some of them were work meetings where I pretended to still be deeply involved in whatever outcomes I definitely won't be around for.

I then said a somewhat hilarious goodbye to an admin whom I share a closet full of stuff with (long story), and then I went across the railroad tracks to Sanitas for a going away party. It was a funny choice for a going away party location for me because I don't drink beer, so my only option was a fairly terrible grapefruit-flavored hard seltzer - but the person who organized it (Morganne) knew this and cleared it with me first, and I was fine with it because I didn't want to overindulge. I had one hard selzter, which is a far cry from the million tequila shots at my last going away party in 2015. And I had some delightful conversations [listed for my own memory: Morganne, Alice, Alisha, Caroline, Carol, Sarah-Frances, Aaron, Matt, Vicky, JM, Sara, Melissa, Lexie, and perhaps a couple of others whom I'm blanking on]. It was an excellent turnout, especially for covid year three, and I was happy to hang out with all of them before the end.

After, I briefly went back to the office to get some stuff out of my trunk and put it into the closet full of stuff - these tings were shipped to my house in March 2020 because the office shut down while tings were in transit, and have been sitting here for over two years, but it's time to get them back onto company property. I also grabbed the last of my personal belongings and said goodbye to the building - if I don't ship my laptop/badge back next week, I'll still have to go in one more time next weekend, but I said my farewells just in case.

Leaving was, of course, bittersweet, but overall I'm v. happy about it. Then I drove home, ate some leftover thai, and took care of some stuff. And now I'm going to go to bed early and hope I can get enough sleep to sustain me through my last day of work tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: