Saturday, July 09, 2022

like i can tell that my luck's gonna change

I had a pretty good day, but I flew back to Denver and the scramble to get ready took it out of me. It started by not getting enough sleep the last couple of nights (hence the lack of blogging), and so I was super tired when I woke up. It didn't help that I woke up early to say goodbye to [censored] before he left on an errand, and then instead of going back to sleep, I randomly drove to the next town over to take another v. brief look at cabinet options.

One of the things that happened yesterday was that a guy came over to give me a quote on remodeling my kitchen in Iowa. I've been talking to someone about cabinets, but it was in a somewhat non-decision-making way - but Randy finished most of the inside of my parents' house when they built it, and he's generally acknowledged to be the best around. He took a look at the project and decided he can fit me in in November(ish), which would be great, but requires ordering the cabinets in the next few weeks. Of course, I'm still dithering between going bold with paint, going with the boring light color I originally scoped, or taking a left turn and going for a walnut/white mix that might be the winner.

In classic #smalltownlife vibes, though, Randy quoted me an initial price per hour (which is relatively low, especially compared to what I would pay anywhere else), and then without even being prompted offered to cut another $5/hr off that because of my family. Small town vibes are taking me far - [censored] also got my mail started because he ran into our mailman at a store and told him we'd put up a mailbox (which he'd seen and admired) and were ready to start getting mail there. And [censored] called his friend the county assessor and got a long-gone hot tub taken off my tax assessment with approximately 30sec of conversation. There are disadvantages to #smalltownlife (namely, I continue to be depressed at the lack of food delivery), but many tings are easy to get done.

sssanyway, after my errand this morning, I hurriedly shoved some clothes in a bag, tidied up a bit, and then caught a ride with my parents to Des Moines. They dropped me off at the airport, which felt like old pre-pandemic times before I started driving most trips. I was through security in five minutes and had a salad while doing some writing. My flight to Denver was uneventful, but it took me approx 30min to get out of the airport - getting out of the airport and into town takes almost as long as the flight itself.

When I got home, I crashed - I took a nap, messed around, ordered sushi for dinner, and nursed a massive headache that was likely caused by weird sleeping, weird eating, and altitude. And now I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: