Monday, July 04, 2022

i would choke on the rind

Happy 4th of July! I was not at all independent from slogging today - but my slog was self-directed and aimed at painting my office in Iowa, so I can't really complain. I spent most of the morning finishing the preparatory masking efforts, and then I took a break in the early afternoon to go to the local museum with my dad to see a program about the history of trains in the area. It was put on by a guy who seems to be a little younger than me and is writing a book on the history of some of Iowa's ghost towns (I think), which ties into railroads because many ghost towns were either caused by the railroad showing up in places that sucked people away from early settlements, or were caused by the railroad leaving. My town in Iowa is obviously not a ghost town, but it definitely suffered massively from the railroad changing (there is still a railroad, but no passengers and no Y-connector to the other railroad that used to go through the area and is now plowed under).

sssanyway, the talk was interesting, although perhaps too high level for a) my dad, who knows a lot about railroads, and b) me, who knows a lot about history in general. After the talk was over, my dad dropped me at my house (and bought me a coke float for the six-minute ride), and then I finished the painting prep. [censored] was kind enough to do some massive assistance on this project - not much on the prep side, but [censored] sprayed the entire first coat in the room. Since my a/c isn't working super well (tanks Marvin) and it's 95 degrees here, the room we were painting felt like an oven after I'd sealed it all in plastic - but we persevered, and I think it will look great. I did a second coat in most areas after dinner, so we'll see how it looks in the morning.

Eventually, we paused to have dinner with the parents, which was delish. And now, I desperately need to sleep if I'm going to run errands + paint the ceiling in the office tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: