Friday, December 29, 2023

you beat my heart from miles away

I woke up this morning feeling far better than I expected or deserved to - while I didn't get enough sleep last night, I certainly paced myself better than I have in the past with Katie, and so I got ready quite easily. Katie grabbed coffee for us while I was in the shower, and then we packed up and grabbed breakfast in the (very lovely) cafe next to the hotel lobby. And then I drove her to her in-laws' house so that she could reunite with her family, and I said my sad farewells in their driveway.

After I left her, I went to West Des Moines, where I grabbed some stuff for my house at Menards. Then I holed up at a Starbucks for a couple of hours and wrote, which felt great - I really miss writing in coffee shops, so it was a pleasant interlude. Then I grabbed groceries at Whole Foods (and ate some takeout sushi), grabbed a couple of tings at Target, and came home. When I got here, I took a brief nap almost as soon as I had finished unloading my car, and it was enough to fuel me so that I could make dinner (burrito bowls, as per usual).

Then, [censored] and I watched a couple of hours of comedy stuff - mostly a new Trevor Noah special, as well as some shorter videos from various sources (including old clips of the Smothers Brothers). And then I came upstairs with plans to go to sleep, but instead I wrote for the last couple of hours. I kind of want to keep going, but I think sleep is more important, so I'm going to give it a shot. Goodnight!

No comments: