Wednesday, December 06, 2023

we're gonna play in the dark 'til it's golden again

I had an excellent writing day, which always means I got v. little else done - but I was happy to make that tradeoff today. I also slept until almost nine, which was even better. When I finally came downstairs, I discovered that it was blisteringly hot - I had set a program on my thermostat last Wednesday to turn the heat up to 82 overnight so that I could get the house nice and toasty before my heating was shut off by the HVAC guys that night, and my thermostat helpfully ran the same program again this Wednesday. So, it was 82 downstairs most of the day because the house doesn't cool off very fast - which was good incentive to stay upstairs at my desk, where it was a relatively reasonable 77.

So I took care of a couple of tings this morning (including looking at concert tickets for a show in May), and then I buckled down to write. I had a good morning session, and then I took a break to prep dinner - I tested a new-to-me slow cooker recipe involving chicken thighs, white beans, and 15-20 cloves of garlic. I added a couple of slices of bacon for good measure, since my chicken thighs didn't have the skin on and I thought it might need some extra fat as a result. While that cooked (for six hours), I made some huevos rancheros for lunch, and then did some more writing.

Alternating between writing, researching, and procrastinating took up most of the afternoon / early evening. Then I ate my dinner, which was quite tasty - it's probably not something I could make for [censored] since [censored] doesn't like chicken thighs, but it was easy and I'm looking forward to eating the leftovers. I also watched the last half of the Iowa State / Iowa women's basketball game - ISU gave Iowa a run for their money despite the juggernaut that is Caitlin Clark, and it was fun to watch.

Then I cleaned up the kitchen, messed around on the internet, and wrote a wee bit more. And now I need to wind down since I have many tings to do tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: