Friday, December 29, 2023

baby, i'm faded, all I want to do is take you downtown

I am, v unusually, in downtown Des Moines. Katie, a true member of the race of Joseph, is in town for one night only, and I kidnapped her from her in-laws to force her into a night of fancy frivolity.

I did do some non-frivolous things this morning, but I made it up here to pick her up around 3:30. We promptly checked into the Hotel Fort Des Moines - this plan came together 48hrs ago and we got an amazing deal on one of the most iconic hotels in the city, so I snapped it up. We had dinner at Malo, which is a Mexican place that my family went to after seeing Hamilton back in 2018 (so, a little bittersweet since that was one of my last excursions with Uncle Mark, although I didn't know it at the time). Then, after a sedate two margaritas, we were back in our room by 7:30, and we gossiped in bed (and discussed various questionable solutions to the problems of the day) until ten....

... But then we rallied and went down to the hotel restaurant and had a drink and chatted in the lobby until after one. There's a speakeasy here that we didn't explore, so that's an excursion for a different day. And now it's almost two, and I should go to sleep so that I can return Katie to her family and get myself back to the rivers and the lakes that I'm used to. Goodnight!

No comments: