Monday, August 26, 2024

tell 'em bring another out, we need plenty more

I'm too tired to blog, but I had an excellent first day at this event. I spent the morning doing a bit of work and then grabbing some breakfast nearby before walking to the main venue to kick things off. At each point in the day I was a little worried that there wouldn't be enough food, which turned out to be a ridiculous fear - after my tasty breakfast, I had some sushi and a little bit of a smoothie at the welcome thing.

The food continued at the afternoon activity I had volunteered for - which I thought was a wine tasting at one winery, but actually started with a whisky tasting at a distillery. The distillery is built into the old Calistoga Depot and there were a bunch of rail cars that had been refurbished to house little restaurants / shops, which was super cute. We sat outside and tasted whiskies while also eating a ton of food - chips and guac, oysters, sandwiches (which I did not partake in), and profiteroles (which I also did not partake in, since I don't eat gluten and I did eat a ton of oysters).

Then we went to the winery, which was gorgeous - I went to Sterling on a birthday bus one year, but they had to do a total remodel after being badly damaged in the Napa fire a few years ago. Their new facility is beautiful, and the gondola ride up to the venue is fun. I didn't finish my wines, but they were quite tasty, and there was more cheese and charcuterie there as well...

Then I had to do a meeting as soon as I got back to the resort, followed by another meeting, followed by dinner out in the vineyard (which was tasty, but it was way too hot to be sitting in the sun and I wanted to die just a little bit). I saw the beginning of the entertainment, but then I quietly skipped out because I am v. tired and need to preserve my energy for two more days of back to back stuff. And now I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: