Wednesday, October 28, 2009

dressmaking:impossible

I just wrapped up some extreme family time; I came home around eight p.m. to discover Adit and Priyanka digging into some sewing for their Halloween costumes. Adit is making a hat, and Priyanka is making a dress, so I helped Priyanka cut and piece her dress. It was more challenging because the fabric was one of those shiny, slippery synthetics -- but it will be perfect for her needs in terms of the look and feel, so I suppose it was worth it. Worth it for her, anyway -- I'm not sure what I got out of playing with the pattern for a couple of hours, except it did make me want to take up sewing again (although "again" might be misleading, since that implies I did it frequently, and I really only did it a handful of times for 4-H projects). But provided that I can find the right ingredients on Saturday, I might join their theme for Saturday night; I already have a different costume for work on Friday, but Saturday is a different story.

sssanyway, today was fine. Actually, it started out really badly. They turned the water off in my neighborhood from two to six a.m.; while I was able to use the bathroom and brush my teeth when I woke up at six, I anticipated that there would be no hot water since the water heater would have been off for several hours, and I was correct. So, I didn't shower; instead, I left at 6:30 to avoid any fallout from the closure of the Bay Bridge. My commute actually wasn't bad; I made it in time to grab some oatmeal before my eight a.m. meeting, and so while I felt dirty, it all ended up okay. I was pretty productive, and stayed long enough that, by taking 280, the drive back to the city wasn't bad either.

So all in all, things are going really well right now; the biggest issue is that I'm not writing, and that's a problem. I intend to get back on track this weekend by writing all day both days, and since the big boss is out of town next week, hopefully I'll have more time to write in the mornings then as well. Now, though, it's time for bed!

No comments: