Saturday, October 17, 2009

throw your hands up and shout

This is going to be brief, even though my heart is filled with joy and I should blog in this moment rather than blogging on the days when I'm angry -- but my heart is also filled with exhaustion, and even though I slept for almost eleven hours last night and ten hours the night before, I'm going to give in to the siren song of my bed in the hopes that ample sleep will continue to stave off whatever plague still roams my apartment.

So I woke up a little after ten, putzed around the apartment, ate some frosted flakes, and swiffered (in the vain attempt to remove hair from the floor so that Adit would stop haranguing me and Priyanka about it). I finally started getting ready around 12:15, which in retrospect was fifteen minutes too late; I had showered when I woke up, but I spent an inordinate time blowdrying my hair (until I found a vivid white strand, at which point I furiously pulled the white strand out of my head, then hastily finished the drying before the air currents could uncover any more traitorous silver hairs). I also plucked my eyebrows (and there was a white hair in my eyebrows too...things are not boding well), then played with my makeup, then ate a peanut butter sandwich -- then realized that I need to leave *immediately*, so I threw my teal silk dress on and headed out the door.

The destination was Chris and Natasha's wedding; Chris and I were in India together, and I adore him, and Natasha and I have been working really closely together (mostly planning the sales conference) over the past year and I adore her too. The wedding was in South San Francisco, and the ceremony was beautiful; surprisingly, they started exactly on time, which clearly took a lot of people by surprise since a significant number of stragglers had to sneak in through the side doors during the ceremony. The priest was a riot; he delivered a pretty moving/hysterical speech with a lot more religious content than the Catholic wedding I was at a couple of weeks ago (he pretty much said that if you're living together and you're unmarried, or if you're Catholic but were married in a civil ceremony, he doesn't consider you to be Catholic and you're not allowed to take communion from him -- he's keeping it old school). And, as is my style, I cried throughout -- probably the most when Natasha's dad got up to do a reading, and he started crying, and he choked up so much that his son had to come up and finish for him. Natasha also had trouble getting through her vows because she was crying, which was v. cute.

Joy, Heather and I sat together at the wedding, and as there was a long break between the wedding and the reception for the wedding party to take pictures, we went to a bar next door to the reception center and had nachos and Diet Cokes (delish!). Then we went to the reception, which was totally fun; it started off with a supposed Pakistani tradition of a Grand March, in which everyone marched around in a long conga-type line all around the room, interweaving, etc. -- although I don't know if the Pakistani tradition really calls for marching to "When the Saints Come Marching In". So we all got sweaty and invigorated by marching and dancing first, before finally having dinner. Dinner was good, particularly for hotel-style catered food, so I approved. Surprisingly, I drank virtually nothing; I don't want to be wrecked for tomorrow, I drove there, and also my current boss (the big boss) was there, as was the director I reported to last fall, and so spilling champagne all over myself and tripping on my own feet would have been v. ill-advised. I still had tons of fun; Chris and Natasha are one of the most joyful couples I've ever seen, and their joy spilled out to everyone else.

Now, though, the joy is burning out and sleep is much in need -- goodnight!

No comments: