Monday, October 12, 2009

i am the rain king

This is my 1500th post! Crazy!!

I had an excellent day; while I miss having a team, I must say that there has been something v. appealing about being able to sit at my desk and get my work done. It says a lot about my workload that I still came home and worked for almost three hours; but then again, I did spend some time doing some online shopping today at work, so it's not like my work time was the most productive ever. It will be interesting to see how I manage my workload in the coming months; the problem is that my new boss is only really able to send emails from 8-11pm, which means that I may have to wait on her for things that I need to be able to do my own work until it's nighttime.

All in all, though, I'm really happy with my new role so far. I could be miserable in a month, but for now I am relishing the fact that I'm in a job that will both make use of and stretch my talents in new and interesting ways. Notice, however, that it has taken me this many lines to get to the point where I lament not having enough time to write today; clearly I will need to vigorously enforce my priorities and make sure I devote enough time to myself, or else book two will be v. slow in coming.

So anyway, I slogged all day; inconveniently, the only meetings I had conflicted with lunch, but I managed to grab and go a weird combo (I ended up eating a couple of pieces of sushi plus a slice of 'tostada pizza' - like an upscale version of the taco pizzas of my youth). I also gave myself a sugar high; my friend Mahin had offered some baklava up as part of a charity auction, and since I was one of the two high bidders, she brought me a batch of baklava today. It was incredible -- quite possibly the best baklava I have had in my entire life, and I'm not even saying that because she occasionally reads this blog :) I managed to foist a pan of it onto members of my former team, since I had four pieces and was on the verge of giving myself a stomach ache, but I still had more than half a pan left to bring home to the Cat (and by Cat I mean Adit).

After work, I made a brief detour to REI, where I bought myself a new down-filled bomber jacket; yes, this is totally unnecessary for our usual sixty-degree weather, but my old down-filled bomber jacket was about five years old, to be precise, and starting to look and feel its age. This one is missing the faux fur trim, and is a dark purple instead of a bright pink, but I'm v. pleased with it. I'm also v. pleased that I had a 20% off coupon plus an unused REI dividend, bringing the $200 jacket down to $130, which felt like a great deal. Then, I talked to my parents, had a burrito at Chipotle, drove home, sat around and watched the last-second victory of Miami over the Jets with Adit and Priyanka, and then watched "Gossip Girl" while working and telling Priyanka that the show is stupid and the actors are terrible. Now, however, it's time for bed; we're on the verge of a huge storm here, so my commute will likely be miserable. Goodnight!

2 comments:

Mahin said...

the third season of gg sucks. i got hooked on the first season, which is tres good!

Long live baklava!

Anonymous said...

You're pretentious Sara, I'm a 24 year old guy and I find Gossip Girl to be delightful, although I can't speak to the quality of this season since I've not had a chance to download any episodes. I've got season one on DVD if you need to borrow it over Thanksgiving to get into the show!