Monday, October 05, 2009

a life spent with no cellmate

Today was, all in all, a great day. I managed to drag myself out of my warm and cozy bed by six a.m., making it down to the south bay around 7:30, and so carved out 90mins at the beginning of the day in which to write. I didn't hit my 1000 word target (which should be doable in ninety minutes), but since I was rewriting an existing scene rather than writing a new one from scratch, that's to be expected. I also discovered another cool feature of Scrivener -- it lets you set goals and track how much you write in each session, so that I knew the net result of my efforts easily even though I had deleted and added and moved around a lot of things. Score!

After writing, I went to work, where I slogged until six. It wasn't a particularly hard slog; since I've transitioned off of my old team but my new big boss is at a conference all week, I have a rare slice of underprogrammed freedom before things get all crazy again. I'm trying to use it to catch up on things that have continually fallen through the cracks (for example, I spent some time today answering emails that I received in July). I'm also just taking advantage of the fact that I have some free time; I was going to work out this afternoon, but unfortunately discovered that the tennis shoes that I keep in my car were full of sand, since I had forgotten about wearing them to the beach in Santa Cruz a month ago. I kept my workout clothes on anyway; I had been wearing this pair of kickass ruby-red stilettos that I adored and that received a high number of compliments, but they were killing my feet by the end of the day (as well as my nerves, since I lived in fear of breaking my ankle). So, swapping the dress and heels for workout clothes and flipflops was v. gratifying.

At the end of the day, I got a massage; I had booked it several weeks ago, after realizing that I had let three birthdays' worth of massage coupons from work pile up. It was a perfect end to the day, even if a) disrobing at work in what amounts to a converted office is strange, even if the room feels like it's part of a spay, and b) a great massage makes me sleepy, and I still had to drive home after. But a free massage (well, a $15 massage, since I gave her a cash tip on top of the payment coupon) is always good, and so I'll have to book another.

Basically, I'm trying to reenergize my 'balance campaign' that was working so well for me last fall. Not that there's any fear of me getting all new age-y, but at the same time, attempting to find balance in all things was good for me, and while there has been some short-term gratification in terms of my gluttony, sloth, and general debauchery over the past couple of months, I need to get refocused on the long-term. That means eating better, sleeping more, writing daily, being productive at work so that I can get out of the office, and buying fewer pairs of shoes. All of these are admirable goals -- and I can get started on the sleep goal right now. Goodnight!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i clicked on her obit b/c i'm always curious about ppl who die relatively young: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/books/06duffy.html?hpw

apparently she was the "julia child of romance"

uterine cancer = bad times!

- tammy