Tuesday, October 27, 2009

what i wouldn't give for only one night

Tomorrow could be bad news. The water is supposed to be off in my neighborhood from two a.m. to six a.m., which means getting up before six is pointless (and I have to cross my fingers that the water will be back on then). Worse, it appears that the Bay Bridge will be closed tomorrow because one of the cables snapped, which could make my commute difficult. Since I have to make it to Mountain View for an eight a.m. meeting, I guess I need to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

I'm not particularly pleased about today. On the surface, it was totally fine; I made it down to Mountain View for a 7:30am meeting, slogged through the day while wearing my kickass ruby-red heels, and had a nice lunch with Gyre (it was baked potato Tuesday, my favorite!). But, I didn't leave the office until 6:30, and for whatever reason I was feeling really sick to my stomach and nauseated, so I didn't follow through on my plan to write tonight; instead, I came home and wrote a rough draft of a recommendation letter for a friend of mine who is applying to school. I did try the folk remedy of drinking Sprite (or, in this case, Sierra Mist), which seems to have helped a bit, but I still have a smashing headache.

I'm cutting myself off now because I'm starting to sound like my Gram Holder; the next topic I will need to cover is the weather (it was extremely windy today, so much so that I wore my coat to walk across the courtyard for lunch so that it would keep my dress from blowing up over my head). I'm really still in a good mood; if I weren't feeling ill, I would be totally happy.

Or maybe not -- today was my official six-year anniversary with my current employer. Can you believe it? I certainly can't; I never intended to stay more than a year, and I've threatened to blow that popsicle stand more times than I can count (including the six-month hiatus where it seemed like I might actually escape) -- and now with my new job, I'm closer to the heart of the beast than ever. I'm actually quite happy about my position in relation to the heart of the beast, but the trick will be to make enough time for my writing so that I don't begin to resent it. Other than that, though, it's all good. Happy anniversary to me! And now I shall celebrate by going to bed early so that my stomach can hopefully recover. Goodnight!

No comments: