Sunday, July 29, 2018

hold on my darling

Somehow it's midnight, which is way too late for me - so you'll have to trust me when I say I had a good day. I mostly ran errands this morning, including a much-overdue trip to the grocery store; I spent the afternoon writing (or at least trying to). And I made chicken tortilla soup - the weather has cooled off a bit, and so while it's still not soup weather, it's not 'my face is melting off' weather either. While I was making it, we had a sudden brief thunderstorm with a particular roar of thunder so loud that it set some car alarms off. But then things calmed down and I was able to eat in peace.

I could have gone out tonight (someone invited me! I know, you're shocked!), but I wasn't feeling it, so I stayed in instead. I ended up watching 'First Wives Club' in the name of research - I'm still a little distracted by the idea of writing another historical sooner than originally planned, and my current idea is inspired by that title. I actually wasn't sure the movie held up all that well - I found all the characters to be somewhat annoying stereotypes. But it was good to watch it - especially in terms of understanding the 'beats' of the story. Once you start paying attention to story beats, you realize that most movies are perfectly timed for certain things to happen at certain minutes (because audiences are wired to expect those arcs), and this movie was no exception.

But now I really should be asleep - goodnight!

No comments: