Friday, July 06, 2018

i'm way too good at goodbyes

I'm super tired and want to go to bed immediately, but I'm worried that if I don't blog tonight, my mother and [censored] will break down my door to make sure I'm not dead. This would be total overkill since my bedroom door is unlocked, and also since they saw me less than an hour ago - but the sanctity of the blog as the single source of truth for whether I'm alive each night must be maintained at all costs.

sssanyway, the last two days have been super lovely - it was nice to have another mini vacation, although stacking so many vacations so close together isn't really helping with my corporate motivations (and by that I mean it's far easier to imagine running off to Bali again when I've had a few days away from the grind.). Katie ended up coming down last night, and so she and Hannah (another friend from high school - fun fact, Hannah and I are also like fifth cousins) came out and spent a couple of hours in the kitchen talking about all sorts of gossip and other inappropriate things (including a joke about cutting the mustard that I hope to never forget).

Eventually, Hannah had to drive home, so Katie, [censored] and I hung out in my room until it was way past time to sleep. I awoke earlier than I wanted to this morning, but since the only plan on the agenda was to hang out with Katie, that wasn't a bad thing. My dad made breakfast, and then I spent most of the late morning / early afternoon on the porch with Katie, my dad, my mom, [censored], the cat, etc.

Then, Katie and I went down to the round barn, where my mom gave us a tour of all the buildings. Katie and I parted ways after that since she had to go back to Des Moines to rendezvous with her other family (clearly my family is more important, but I'll let it slide this time since I'm guessing her children might have missed her). But I'll see Katie again in a couple of weeks, so this isn't really a hardship.

Then my mom and I came home, and I took a nap / relaxed / tried to cool off. Then we had leftovers for supper (but when leftovers are this good, it doesn't feel like a chore) before playing two games of Ticket to Ride. [censored] won the first one, and my mom won the second, and I was generally just wasting my time, but c'est la vie.

And now it's time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: