Saturday, July 21, 2018

your trojan's in my head

Conference is drawing to a close - I'm not ready for all aspects of my real life (especially the lack of air conditioning and the overabundance of day job tasks facing me when I return), but I am ready to sleep in my own bed and stop eating crazy amounts of food during a myriad of social activities. Today was pretty nice, though. I went to an early workshop about publishing young adult for the indie market; when I finish this YA I intend to shop it to publishers first because the YA market is really different from romance, but I was curious about my options.

After that, Barbara S and I walked over to the Delectable Egg and had breakfast and caught up - I'd been looking forward to some one-on-one time with her, so I'm glad we caught each other this morning. We also ended up having lunch together a couple of hours later with our mutual friend Heather - lunch was overkill at that point, but I sucked it up and ate some salad anyway. I also gave $5 to a street performer just because the lucky bastard happened to be playing 'Amarillo by Morning', which probably surprised him, but if you were me or [censored] or Drewbaby, you would understand why I did this.

Then I came back to the hotel and spent some quality time in the lounge with my journal and my headphones, plotting out a five year plan. I haven't done a planning exercise in quite some time, and I'm feeling the lack of clarity when it comes to my goals and aspirations. I'm not done yet, but it was a good start.

Then the rest of the afternoon was all social - I met Lisa (a Twitter friend); Elizabeth (another Twitter friend); hung out for a bit with the Barbaras and Grace and Veronica and Sherry; had dinner with Darcy; and then came back to my room and had two glorious hours of napping/relaxing/not wearing pants. I could have easily remained in that paradise, but at 9:30 I rallied and put on a dress and went downstairs to meet up with Grace and Veronica - Grace won an award tonight (not the RITA, but still very exciting), and so we celebrated in the bar.

But now, I really need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: