Tuesday, July 17, 2018

lay where you're laying, don't make a sound

I had yet another hectic day at the office - meeting after meeting, with no end in sight. But I ended the office time around four, when I weirdly ended up signing a bunch of my books for people who happened to be around - I had a box of them at my desk and was grabbing some to take to my conference, but I gave a bunch away. So, that was weird and entertaining, and hopefully they're all still speaking to me when I get back.

Then I dashed home, threw a whole bunch of stuff in a suitcase (more stuff than is strictly necessary for four days, but I didn't have time to edit), and worked for another hour or so while traffic died down. Then I drove into Denver and met a bunch of my writer friends for dinner at Tupelo Honey. I've never been there, and I'll probably never go back - the meal that I had was super tasty and the wine was good, but they only had like one gluten-free thing on the menu (a sweet tea brined half chicken, which was tasty). It's Southern, which is not gluten-free friendly, and so I suppose I'll have to let this restaurant live on in my memory rather than ever going back.

Still, the dinner was super fun - I hung out with the usual suspects (the Barbaras, Veronica, Deb, Poppy, and Deb and Poppy's boyfriends, which was an unusual but not unwelcome addition). Grace's flight was delayed, and several other usual suspects aren't coming this year, but it was fun to relax and hang out and talk writer stuff.

Then I drove some of us back to the hotel, where I checked in, unpacked, and settled in. And now I really need to sleep - I have a 'Day of YA' thing tomorrow with Veronica, where I intend to learn as much as possible about the young adult market, so hopefully it's interesting (and hopefully worth getting up at 6:15am for). Goodnight!

No comments: