Thursday, July 19, 2018

scheming on a thing that's a mirage

I had another lovely day at the conference - I'm feeling inspired, but I'm also feeling like this is a bit too much like a vacation and not quite enough like I'm doing serious business. This could be because I just needed a break; or it could be because I haven't written much in the last year, which is starting to be a crawling, gnawing monster under my skin and along my spine.

sssanyway. I got up this morning in time to have coffee and journal a bit before my first workshop of the day. I met up with Veronica and we sat together for Sherry Thomas's workshop on revisions - Sherry and I have pretty much the same revision style (aka scrap the first 10k words entirely, write the first half, then scrap that and write yet another draft). I was hoping to discover a way to fix this, but it sounds like it's unfixable, so that's great. But Sherry writes gorgeous books, so if that's the outcome, I should probably be cool with it.

After the talk, Sherry and I went out for at Marlowe's, which was super fun; I really like that we've somehow become friends over a handful of conferences and some occasional email/twitter exchanges. When we came back to the hotel, I grabbed an iced tea, planned to sit somewhere in my journal, and instead ran into Grace - which was perfect because I was wanting some quality time with her (although I joked that this was pretty low quality time, but it was delightful, as always). We hid in a corner where no one could find us and talked about life and children and teeth (she told me a horror story about her son's dentistry experiences, which involve Old MacDonald's Farm in a way that now creeps me out). Then, we went to Barbara Samuel's workshop on the first 100 pages - and I was reminded once again that the first and second draft of my first 100 pages inevitably suck, so I should stop worrying about making them perfect right now.

After the workshop, I was desperately tired, so I came to my room and took an 18-minute power nap. Then I met up with Maya, Veronica, and Grace for dinner - we took a lyft to Lola's, which is my favorite Mexican restaurant in Denver. It turned into a super fun evening - Maya hadn't met Grace or Veronica before, but everyone hit it off, so the conversation devolved quite quickly from the usual 'getting to know you' questions to conversations about combative urination (#dontask).

Then we came back to the hotel (after scarring/amusing the lyft driver) and hung out in the lobby with Barbara F and the director of ebooks at Kobo (whom I'd befriended in Hawaii a couple of years ago, so we'd agreed to connect tonight). But we were all fading fast, so I came up to my room an hour ago and messed around until now.

And now it's time for more sleep, hopefully better than last night's, and with some quality time to write tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: