Sunday, September 09, 2018

how to save a life

I'm so glad that I came back to Colorado and had a day at home, even if I was minimally productive and really wanted to do nothing at all. The day started off perfectly - I slept well, lazed in bed for awhile, and then dragged myself out of bed so that I could have brunch with Katie. She drove up from Denver, so we went to the other side of Pearl Street and hung out at Arcana. It's a v. v. hipstery place, with an incredible interior - I'd been there once before with Navin, and so I was looking forward to brunch. It was pretty good, all in all, although my huevos rancheros had a sauce on it that was a little too hollandaise-y for my liking (I love hollandaise, just not on huevos rancheros).

But the coffee was tasty and the company was perfect, and our booth was just right for catching up about what it means to be in your late thirties and how we both feel old (Katie's birthday is a month before mine, so we are pretty much in lockstep on our emotions related to getting older). After we ate, we walked around Pearl Street for awhile - we especially enjoyed browsing in Peppercorn, which is my favorite kitchen goods store, and we especially disliked seeing an adult human dressed as a dog prancing around on the sidewalk (I get that there are a lot of street performers in Boulder, but this costume looked like it was verging dangerously toward furry/fetish, which made me unhappy to watch the little kids throwing money at it). People are strange.

sssanyway. Katie went home after that, and I spent a couple of hours procrastinating and doing absolutely nothing, which wore me out enough that I needed a nap. But I eventually rallied - I walked to the grocery store to get a couple of things to get me through the next few days, and then I moved my old car and washed it so it didn't look quite so abandoned. I then spent an hour on the phone with my parents - I'll see them in a few days, but we had a lot to catch up on since I unusually didn't talk to them last weekend.

I then did my post-travel laundry and made some huevos rancheros for dinner (more satisfying than the brunch ones, since I used salsa verde instead of hollandaise - but my huevos rancheros were pretty tasty, since I bought nice tortillas and some delicious black beans at the grocery store). And I just took care of some personal emails. I should have worked on day job stuff tonight, but I wasn't feeling it - so I'm going to try to go to bed now so I can do that stuff in the morning. Goodnight!

No comments: