Saturday, September 01, 2018

this place about to blow

Apologies for not blogging last night - I had a long day (woke up at six, did a bunch of stuff around the house including two loads of laundry before I went to work, and slogged hard and fast until 4:30), and then I got a mani/pedi and took some stuff back to Anthro and bought some stuff at Sephora, and then had a leisurely dinner/margarita at Verde to unwind. This meant I had to wind back up when I got home, since I had to pack for DC/SF and attempt to get some sleep before today's voyage...

But today went super smoothly, and now I'm in Washington, D.C. with [censored], who is here for [censored]. I'm here for a couple of days of vacation, which I think will be super fun - I have to go to California for a quick work trip on Tuesday, but until then I'm going to enjoy the sights, savor the food, and probably antagonize [censored], since that's my primary role in [censored]'s life. I made it to the airport today in time to have breakfast, and then I was planning to work all the way to DC - but the wifi on the plane wasn't working, which really bummed me out. I was able to answer a bunch of email in offline mode, but I wasn't able to do anything of real importance without internet, so I'll probably need to do a bit of stuff tomorrow or Monday in preparation for the week.

But that can all wait. When I got to the hotel, [censored] was already here, and so we wallowed in the luxury that my hotel status got us (namely, access to the club lounge, where we enjoyed complimentary soda and a nice view while catching up). Then we ventured out for dinner at Farmers and Distillers - it's got some weird ties to the North Dakota ag industry, and also had a distillery that makes most of their own liquors. My cocktails were both great; the dumpling appetizer (which came at the same time as our mains due to slightly incompetent service) was super tasty; my steak was satisfactory (but [censored]'s chicken fried steak with a donut looked amazing); and we ended with an out of this world cheesecake, so all in all it was a success.

But we're both totally exhausted because we were both working nonstop for the last week (or last three months), so we came back early and are going to bed relatively early (it's only 8:40pm in Colorado and 9:40pm in Iowa) so that we can hopefully recover enough to do some sightseeing tomorrow. Goodnight!

No comments: