Tuesday, September 11, 2018

if my honey comes back, sometime

Happy birthday to me! If it hadn't been my birthday, today would have totally sucked - I'm now up against several immovable deadlines on competing, equally important priorities, and it seemed like every meeting I had today added a new tale of woe that I somehow have to solve.

However, today *is* my birthday, and so the delightful nature of all sorts of human contact made up for the tales of woe. When I walked into the office, I discovered that my old team had decorated my desk and written a card for me (which was a pretty hilarious card, all in all), and my new boss had gotten pastries for me (not knowing that I'm gluten free, but c'est la vie). Of course, I strolled in at ten a.m. - I'd been working from home starting at eight, and I had a meeting at 9:30 that I went straight to rather than going to my desk - but when everyone rather loudly sang happy birthday to me as I walked in, it felt rather decadent that I was showing up at ten.

sssanyway. I continued to get birthday texts and emails throughout the day, most of which I didn't have time to respond to due to the fact that I had meetings straight from 10:30ish to 5ish without even a break for lunch (lunch happened during a long meeting, so I had to stay with the people I was meeting with). I also got a cookie delivery from Natasha and Chris, which was delish. Then I drove my car home and talked to my mom on the way, and then I strolled over to River and Woods to have dinner with my new boss and four of the other managers in Boulder. I normally would not want to celebrate my birthday with a work dinner, but I do like River and Woods, and the poutine and rosé (and churros at the end for my birthday) made it almost feel like I was having non-work-related fun.

Then I came home and packed and straightened up my house, since I'm taking off again tomorrow. And now I really need to sleep - I have a ton of work to do in the morning and precious little time to do it, and also I probably wrecked my body by having more sugar and gluten in the day than I usually have in a week. Oops. But it was a #treatyoself kind of day, so #noregrets. Goodnight!

No comments: