Saturday, September 08, 2018

heat of the moment

I had a gorgeous day - or at least a gorgeous evening, once I got through a whole lot of slogging. But the slogging included a lunch with Aga, Chris and Alice - Aga left the team a few months ago, and when she told her new team that she had to go to a different building to have lunch with 'tiki boss', this apparently confused them. Who knew that tiki boss as a brand isn't really something that people in corporate America are accustomed to?

But I left the office around 4:40 and went to the dirty dirty east bay to hang out with my college friends. I never go to the east bay willingly, but the people I wanted to see are mostly there, so I put in the massive sacrifice and made it happen. We had a dinner reservation at 7:30, but almost all of us met up at East Bay Spice Company for drinks first. So I hung out with Jess and Chandlord (hereafter called 'Zoochander' because Oniel made it happen), and then John showed up, and Claude and Sam came too. The cocktails there were v. delightful - especially one that had carrot juice in it and so looked healthy, but also had mezcal and two other liquors and so was completely, definitively not healthy.

After two drinks and my discussions of Johnny Depp and Steven Seagal, we went to Saha - a tasty restaurant that also happened to be the only place where I could get a reservation for seven people with only 24 hours' notice. Oniel was the only person who couldn't make it to drinks, but he met us at the restaurant - I hadn't seen him in many many months, so it was super exciting that he was able to come out. So the seven of us all did the three-course menu, and we split two bottles of wine, and we shared the chocolate mousse that they brought me for a birthday dessert + some Syrian cheese thing that made for an incredible dessert. I also practiced 'man hugs' with Oniel, although that meant I mostly tricked him into hugging me for real. We also all laughed about many things, especially the guy who had a Volvo parked outside, which led him to confront us about it since the restaurant window was open and he apparently knew we were talking about him. Oops.

Then we all adjourned to John and Jess's house, where I had some port while discussing the Human Centipede and a bearded Ellen DeGeneres - as one does. And then Zoochander and I rode back to the city together in a lyft that made me mildly carsick, but I shall survive. Happy early birthday to me - goodnight!

No comments: