Friday, September 14, 2018

tonight I'm gonna bury that horse in the ground

I'm still overwhelmed by work, and I should probably work all night...but that sounds like a terrible plan, so I'm going to bed instead. But today wasn't all bad - I spent most of it working outside, and any meeting is better when you're out in the sun and looking out over my parents' rolling hills. I also enjoyed being regularly attacked by kittens - and I really enjoyed petting one of them like I was Doctor Evil while sitting on conference calls.

I was done with meetings around 5:30, and then I went down to the round barn to check out some train stuff that they're doing for a show tomorrow. I also admired all the new info signs and historical stuff my parents had put up - apparently getting a laminator was dangerous for them, since they now spend a lot of time printing and laminating old photos of the area. It all looked great, though, and I got to eat a perfect apple off one of the trees there, so that was a nice break.

Then we came home briefly, and then we went to Seymour for supper for the second night in a row since my mom was too exhausted to cook. The salad bar had chocolate pudding on it, which is v Midwestern - and very different from the spicy fried chickpeas from Nopalito that I ate this afternoon as a snack. Neither is better, but sometimes the difference between the places I call home are intense....

Then we came home and hung out in the kitchen for a bit, but we were all so tired that we couldn't stay up and talk. They have stuff to do at the barn all day, and I'm leaving in the morning to rendezvous with [censored] on the other side of the state, so this marks an unusually quick end to this trip. There will be more time later this year, although it's unlikely that I'll get to work on the patio at Christmas. Goodnight!

No comments: