Sunday, April 19, 2020

sing about the sixblade, sing about the switchback and a torture tattoo

Day 41. There are moments when it feels like I can't cook another thing, clean another thing, do another thing, especially by myself. There are moments where I would give my fortune to sit at a bar and watch someone make me a drink while overhearing a first date gone bad. There are moments when I obsessively count my canned goods and frozen meats, and other moments when I think I could just eat cereal until this is all over.

But then there are other moments, like the fact that my college friends are doing family dinner on Sunday nights again despite being spread across several states (and the SF vs East Bay divide is usually just as insurmountable as SF to Colorado, or East Bay to Seattle). Tonight's family dinner included:

- a long discussion about urine, mostly because of the...
- introduction to Claudia's baby! Téo is less than three weeks old, but he made it to the Zoom call and did so in style. He doesn't have a nickname yet but I'm sure it's coming.
- an also-long discussion of baby massage
- Nepalese nannies
- a tour of my house, which started mostly because I went off in search of a refill on my Bailey's
- nap dresses (aka nightgowns for you peasants out there)
- Bill wearing a blanket like a shawl, but not quite like Lenny Kravitz's blanket-scarf
- John and Jess being out of barbecue sauce
- the lack of barbecue sauce didn't stop them from making the Round Barn their background image for part of the call
- Vidya managed to wrap a scarf all the way around her head and then get it unwrapped before sneezing, which was a real feat of physical prowess in these troubled times

sssanyway. Family dinner was lovely, even if it wasn't spent at Enjoy Vegetarian eating a variety of vegetarian Chinese dishes while being judged/ignored by the waitstaff. The only downside is the lateness of the hour and the fact that I've been drinking slow/steady since two p.m. (truly slow/steady - I had a mojito at 2, two glasses of wine from 5-8, and two pours of Bailey's from 8-11).

The rest of my day was okay - I woke up and could have ended up in a total black pit hellscape, but managed to pull myself out of that mood. I did a bit of writing at some point this morning too, which I'll take. And I did some stuff around the house, talked to some writer friends (Anne, Grace, Veronica, and Barbara), and took a walk while talking to my parents. And now, unfortunately, I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: