Sunday, October 25, 2020

but in the end, something just didn't feel right

Sometimes I do a quick search on my blog to see if I've used a lyrics as a title before; sometimes it turns up that lyric, but often it turns up a bunch of posts that use some of the words, and that results in an impromptu trip down memory lane. Tonight's search revealed:

- the wine trip Terry, Subz and I took to Calistoga; it was a weekend or two before the 2016 election, and before several Calistoga wineries burned this year, so it felt like a throwback to a more innocent time

- a time when Claude told me, Chandlord, and Renee (who I used to hang out with) the story of Rumpelstiltskin in a California Pizza Kitchen

- the glorious afternoon Riturani and I spent getting our nails done and drinking a whole bottle of champagne and congratulating each other on how great we are (to be more specific, this time was right before her engagement photos; this is a typical day for us overall, although I prefer when it involves oysters)

- the time I was eating lunch outside in Palo Alto and watched a woman carry her child on her shoulders...and then the child vomited into her hair

- the day I scraped my RAV4 in Chandlord's parking garage

- when I was in Jasmine and Michael's wedding (funny how you can be in someone's wedding and then not see them for over a decade)

- shopping on Grafton St when I lived in Dublin

- Fleet Week and feeling like I came close to getting kidnapped by a cab driver

- a work day that sounds a lot like the day I had on Friday, but it was in 2007

So, that was fun. While it's entirely insane and ridiculous that I've been doing this with astonishing regularity for sixteen (!) years, it's really fun and bizarre to dip into the minutiae of whatever I found interesting years ago.

sssanyway. Today was boring and I was not in it to win it. I did get almost nine hours of sleep, which was amazing - but it snowed all day and never made it over sixteen degrees, so I stayed inside and tried to battle my lethargy. I did pretty well considering my mood - I made a frittata for breakfast (and for breakfasts the next few days), then wrote (via an online writing date with Veronica). I then messed around online, ate some leftover spaghetti carbonara, and took the first pass at some experimentation with a new gluten free baking book that I got - I mixed up their preferred flour blend and also mixed up a batch of dough, which looks promising so far. The dough is better after being refrigerated and can be refrigerated up to ten days, so I'm sure I'll test out a loaf later this week.

Then I talked to Katie, threw together the ingredients for instant pot pork chile verde, and talked to my parents while the chile verde cooked. The chile verde was completely delish, so at least it was worth the effort.

Then I cleaned up my kitchen, adjourned to my office, and wrote some more. And now I need to fold some laundry / decompress / go to bed - goodnight!

No comments: