Saturday, October 24, 2020

this is a spiritual world, i'm a material boy

I was running on fumes this morning, but I somehow rallied and got a million things done. I did laze about for awhile with coffee and my journal and my phone (mostly my phone, which is never a good way to start the day). But I forced myself to eat some yogurt, take a shower, and then run to Crate and Barrel in Cherry Creek to return a couple of decorative pillows that I ordered on impulse and then promptly regretted. Crate and Barrel was mostly empty, so I browsed and picked up an oven thermometer and some other baking supplies for some baking experiments that I want to make in the coming weeks. I also daydreamed of decorating my entire house in fun and whimsical new ways, and then remembered that that's absolutely not what I want to spend my money on (okay, I want to spend my money on it, but I also want to do other things more), so I successfully left without an egregious amount of stuff.

Then I came home, made a sandwich, cleaned up some tings, and took a nap. And then I rallied and actually cleaned out my garage, which has been on my list for a year - it was nice enough today to be outside, but tomorrow it's going to be twenty degrees and snow multiple inches, so I forced myself to do garage stuff on what felt like the last nice day of the year (it will not be the last nice day of the year, but you never know in 2020). I put together some shelves I had ordered, organized everything that's in the garage, brought in some stuff that shouldn't have been out there, etc. And I broke down some boxes that need to be recycled (slowly, over the next few weeks, since my recycling is only every other week). I also swept, then used my leaf blower to push all the dirt outside,  and it was tremendously satisfying. Yes, I am old. But I also like things to be tidy, and I'm v. happy that my garage is now clean enough that two cars could theoretically fit (or my one car has a ton of room).

Then, since my garage was clean, I took my car to the carwash, where I washed and vacuumed it and generally got it ready to spend the next couple of weeks going nowhere due to the weather. I also put gas in it, for similar reasons. Then I came home, made some spaghetti carbonara for dinner, messed around on instagram, and then took a bubble bath while reading Padma Lakshmi's memoir.

And now that I've done about as much treating myself as I can do in one evening, I think it's time for bed. I have grand plans to write in the morning, and I also have grand plans to cook a million things so that I don't have to cook so much during the week - wish me luck with that. Goodnight!

No comments: