Wednesday, December 02, 2020

falling asleep at the wheel

It's ridiculously cold today, and it's a reminder that winter isn't just coming...it's here. But in my house, it's cozy - I have bought every faux fur blanket and fleecy loungewear it's possible to buy, and I have a space heater for my office and a fireplace for my living room and flannel sheets for my bed. Yes, I have gone so hard on #treatyoself quarantine goodies that I have basically fashioned a nest for myself out of material objects to replace tings like friends and family and restaurants and travel and the ability to walk into any store without worrying about catching a communicable disease (okay, I used to worry about communicable diseases in some places, but they were mostly places that I shouldn't have been and mostly diseases related to food poisoning).

ssssanyway. Today was pretty good - I had a long but productive day at work, and I had a break around 4:30 to start a chickpea stew, which was a good thing because it took two and a half hours to simmer. This was because I started with dried chickpeas rather than canned; I had soaked them overnight, but they still took awhile to soften. But I made a chickpea and chorizo stew, the recipe for which I got from a winery in Sonoma a million years ago, when I went on a Thanksgiving weekend trip with Ritu and the guy she was dating at the time (who is not Bill). She should have known it wasn't gonna work out when she invited me to share her two-bed hotel room with her and the guy - but I got a lot of fun memories and a recipe for chickpea and chorizo stew, so it was definitely worth it for me. Editor's note on the memories, though: I completely forgot that after we went to five wineries, we had dinner at Panda Express (according to the blog), which definitely tells you that it happened in 2004 when I was still relatively poor and also eating gluten. Ah, to be that young and innocent and able to soak up wine with orange chicken.

sssanyway again. The stew was delicious, and my kitchen is now clean, and I'm pretty sure I won't cook a damn thing tomorrow. I spent the last bit of time designing my Christmas card, and I'm hopeful that it will turn out beautifully, but we shall see. And now I really need to sleep - goodnight!

2 comments:

riturani said...

omg. I have a picture of our fortunes somewhere... stew was definitely the winner of the weekend!

Sara said...

was the stew the winner, or was it the weird labyrinth at the charles schulz museum? or the fact that everyone else bailed? regardless, it was awesome and I miss you :)