Wednesday, July 07, 2021

at some chinese restaurant in san francisco, my fortune told me i’m on the wrong road

Katie and I went out for an epic evening of margaritas, so I guess nature is healing or something. But before I got to the margaritas, I had a day of slogging. I was going to write this morning, but I got an email at 7:30am from my sprinkler guy asking if he needed to pick up an irrigation control box before getting to my place by nine. This was quite a surprise, since he had previously confirmed he would be here on July 19....and [censored] just replaced the box that the sprinkler guy was supposed to do. But I seized the moment, told him I didn't need the box but did need him to fix a broken zone valve and still fix some of the heads, so he got here around nine and did a great job fixing the rest of my system. So, that's a relief, since I can now leave my water on all the time without a leak and can also run my sprinklers from anywhere in the world thanks to my new control box.

Then I slogged for the entire day - I had a bit of a break at lunch, but not enough to feel luxurious. During my last meeting, I texted Katie and asked if today was the day that we would get margaritas together - we hadn't seen each other since late May, which feels impossibly long ago. I was in Iowa, and then she was in Iowa, and then unfortunately her grandmother passed away in souther Illinois, and so we've been as ships crossing in the night the last few weeks.

Happily, Katie succumbed to my lure of margaritas, and so we went to bartaco to catch up on the million things we've missed in each other's lives. This required many tacos, many margaritas, some tasty ice cream, some subpar churros, and a lot of conversation. We were there for almost four hours, and I think we made a valiant effort at scraping the tip of the iceberg of what has transpired in the last few weeks, but it will undoubtedly require some additional summit-level discussions to properly square all the many and varied topics away.

So in other words, it was a delight to see her and I feel v. grateful that my best friend from forever lives within ten minutes of my house. And I also feel v. grateful that my best friend from forever likes tequila and tacos, although I would still love her even if she didn't. And now, I need to consider going to bed since tomorrow looks like another epic slog - goodnight!

No comments: