Saturday, November 19, 2022

a freight train running through the middle of my head

Today went entirely off-plan. I somehow slept until nine, which was v. welcome - and then got a text from [censored] asking if I wanted a temporary house pet. Apparently [censored] had gotten called out to the parents' house to rescue a kitten that had spent the night in a precarious situation and was nearly dead (the near death-ness exacerbated by the fact that it was about fourteen degrees), and so I ran to the vet clinic to procure kitten milk replacer and take it out to them. After much nursing and cuddling, the kitten is doing surprisingly well - if it were any younger, it probably would have expired, but it's old enough to eat real food and it seemed to bounce back.

However, we didn't want to leave it alone, so [censored] and I brought it back to my house, where it recuperated in my bay window for the afternoon. I made some burrito bowls for lunch, but beyond that I did basically nothing, since playing with a kitten was far more enjoyable.

Eventually, though, I took a shower, and [censored] and I shut the kitten up in the bathroom so that we could have dinner with Dad for his birthday. We went to Seymour for the first time (for me) since before the pandemic - the wait was rather long, but the prime rib was excellent, so it was a nice evening. And it was great to be able to celebrate Dad's birthday on the actual day, so a good time was had by all.

Then [censored] and I came back to check on the kitten, which seems to be doing well - we will likely release it to its fate in the morning. If I weren't ridiculously allergic to cats I would be tempted to keep it, but I need to have my eyes open to write a book, and they would be permanently swollen shut if I had an indoor cat. So, hopefully it's doing well in the morning and hopefully its mom and the other cats are happy about its return. We shall see, we shall see. Goodnight!

No comments: