Saturday, March 18, 2023

corn jungle feast

I had a delicious day in the city of sin, which is exactly the kind of day I love to have here. I started with a surprise (because it was scheduled last night) breakfast with Sarah-Frances, who was on my team back when I worked for the man. She lives in Boulder, but she was in town for work, and she saw a post on my Instagram that showed me writing in a bar, guessed I must not be in Iowa, and asked where I was. This was fortuitous, since she was leaving for the airport this morning - but we met at Sweet Maple for breakfast. This is two blocks from Japantown, which seems to be where all my plans end up. It was great to see her, and I remain fully delighted in my decision to leave my job when I did, so it's all good.

Then, she went to the airport, I did a tiny bit of work at the Kabuki lobby, and then I took an Uber to the Ferry Building. I wandered a bit (book research), and then had lunch with Julie, whom I hadn't seen in a million years. So many years, in fact, that she sprang a secret pandemic baby on me, which was a delightful surprise. We had a lot to catch up on, and I somehow got tricked into walking back from the Ferry Building to Chandlord's, which is not terribly far but does involve going from sea level to scaling to the top of Nob Hill, which is an elevation gain of 375 feet and a lot more effort than I want to put into digesting my lunch. But it was a good walk and we hung out in a park briefly before parting ways.

Then I came back to Chandlord's, changed out of my sweaty clothes, and took a nap. And then I took an Uber to the Lower Haight to have dinner with Katrina at Bar Crudo. We started there for happy hour and then stayed and ended there as well. Their happy hour was packed (luckily I got there five minutes before opening and got in line, bc we got two of the last bar seats), but we ordered enough to keep our spots, and then everyone disappeared by seven and we had a v leisurely remainder of our catch up. We had a bunch of oysters, some excellent tacos and tostadas, and some v tasty white wine, and it was all exactly what I wanted out of a fancy Friday.

We also parted ways around nine and I actually came home instead of going out... age must finally be catching up to me. Chandlord got here shortly after me, so we talked for a bit. And now I desperately need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: