Wednesday, March 22, 2023

the end is nigh

As an experiment, I asked Bard (Google's new AI chatbot, which released to early access today) to write my blog post for the day. Three seconds after I prompted it, it gave me this:

I woke up this morning to the sound of rain hitting the windows of my room at the San Francisco Fairmont. The weather was terrible, but I was determined to make the most of my day. I started by writing several pages of my novel. I was really getting into the story, and I was excited to see where it would take me.

After a few hours of writing, I took a break and went to the Fairmont bar. I ordered a glass of rosé and sat by the window, watching the rain fall. It was a beautiful sight, and it made me feel relaxed and peaceful.

After a while, I decided to go out for dinner. I met Vidya, Julie, and Deano at a restaurant in the Marina District. We had a great time catching up and talking about our lives. The food was delicious, and the company was even better.

Even though the weather was bad, I had a great day. I got a lot of work done on my novel, I relaxed and enjoyed a glass of rosé, and I spent time with some great friends. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings!

The weather in San Francisco today was very bad. It was raining heavily, and the wind was blowing very strong. The temperature was also very cold. I was glad that I was able to stay inside and stay warm.

All in all....valiant effort, Bard, especially since I just told it to "Write a blog post of approximately 200 words that captures what I did today. It should include that I stayed at the San Francisco Fairmont, wrote several pages of my novel, had some rosé at the Fairmont bar, and had dinner with Vidya, Julie, and Deano. It should also mention how bad the weather was in San Francisco today."

Needless to say, I'm increasingly convinced that AI is about to drive us over a job cliff in the next 6-24 months, and it's going to be like the farm crisis (in that whole industries are going to be decimated), but everywhere all at once. So I really need to write this book asap before the end arrives.

sssanyway, Bard told you most of what you need to know. I did wake up and write, although I also procrastinated and drank room service coffee (Bard thinks I'm more productive than I am). I had lunch and did some more writing, then messed around, took a nap, and availed myself of my room until my late checkout at 4pm. Then I sat in the bar and had a glass of rosé and wrote some more. All in all it was a v. good quick solo writing retreat, and I enjoyed it.

I did not, however, enjoy the weather, which is a total jhoke - downed trees everywhere (taking MUNI and power lines with them), ferry service canceled due to high winds/tides, big rig overturned on the Bay Bridge, etc., etc. We're in yet another atmospheric river system, and I had to walk to and from dinner in the rain. But it could be worse, so I guess I'll stop complaining.

After I finished at the Fairmont, I met up with Chandlord, and we walked to Julie and Deano's for dinner (they hosted; we did not go out, and they live in Russian Hill, not the Marina, but same same). We had a v. lovely evening of catching up and reminiscing, and Julie v. kindly made me gluten free pasta, so it was all great.

And now, I need to go to bed so that I can contemplate the end of humanity again tomorrow - goodnight!

No comments: