Sunday, March 19, 2023

it's not in the way you look or the things that you say that you'll do

I had a v nice day in the city of sin, and I spent it mostly catching up with people I haven't seen in a million years. I felt surprisingly good when I woke up this morning (probably because I felt not-good at six and took a bunch of ibuprofen), and so I had no trouble make it down to the deep heart of Noe Valley to have breakfast with my friend Chris at Front Porch. I truly haven't seen Chris in forever - he was an old high school friend from a summer camp I went to for extreme nerds, and we stayed in touch our senior years (and several of the campers went to Mardi Gras with him, since he lived in New Orleans and apparently all of our parents had similarly strange judgment and sent us to Mardi Gras while we were underage). We caught up a couple of times as adults but never got into a regular hangout cadence. But I follow his wife on insta and she alluded to some health issues he's having, so I reached out, and we got together.

This was a delightful thing, even though it was a relatively quick breakfast - it was really nice to see him, and the restaurant happened to be New Orleans-themed, so it seemed appropriate. After we parted ways, I took an uber back to Chandlord's, where I rearranged my stuff, changed into sweats, and talked to my mom. Then, Chandlord came home from her own brunch and we had a v lazy Sunday watching a movie - I conned her into watching THE LOST CITY, which I still enjoy even though she pointed out that it's basically SAHARA, which cost me a lot of friends over the years due to my staunch defense of its artistic merits.

After that, we parted ways - I spent tonight hanging out with Jenni and Jesse, whom I also haven't seen in ages (although much more recently than Chris). They invited me to spend the night at their house, which is a total delight - and Jesse made possibly the best cheeseburger I've ever had, which is a real shocker since it tasted restaurant-style but I watched him make it and there was no witchcraft involved. While he was cooking, and then while he was watching basketball, Jenni and I caught up on tons of life stuff and had most of two bottles of wine (we did share with Jesse because we're not totally selfish). It's been great to hang out with her and v. overdue, so I'm glad my trip this time is relaxed enough to let me move around and spend some quality time with people.

I also appreciate that they served dinner at six and we were all ready to go to bed before ten, which is what I v. desperately need. So, I'm going to unwind and go to bed and sleep as late as humanly possible - goodnight!

No comments: