Tuesday, March 21, 2023

surrender all your dreams to me tonight, they'll come true in the end

I decided to let myself have a mostly-hermit day, which in SF means I only saw people for approximately four hours. I also looked at my fitbit, saw that my heartrate has increased by 10-12 bpm since leaving Iowa (likely thanks to wine and overstimulation), and decided to indulge my inner bougie self and check into a hotel for the night. So, I'm writing this from the top of the Fairmont, overlooking the city of sin, and likely able to write this off on my taxes because the Fairmont is weirdly part of my next book (#winning).

Anyway, I woke up this morning, gathered my tings, relocated, and had a late breakfast while doing a bit of stuff on my laptop. Then, I rendezvoused with Adit (some people call him the cat) for coffee in Potrero Hill. We discussed a lot about life and AI while I drank a flat white, and it simultaneously gave me great ideas for my book + a lot of unease about the future of humanity (+ a lot of caffeine). Then, we relocated to Tartine Manufactory, where we had a late lunch (a delish salad with endives, radicchio, blue cheese, candied walnuts, citrus, and tuna salad for me). We eventually met Claudia there, where Adit told her that my book is basically "a girl moves to Iowa and becomes a magician," which is both accurate and horribly stated in a way that makes me never want to write it.

sssanyway, it was a lovely afternoon with two of the people whom I've known for my entire adult life (I met them a week after I turned eighteen!). Then I came to the Fairmont, flush with ideas, and promptly took a nap. Then, I spent the evening writing in the hotel restaurant - I ate an overpriced steak, drank some tasty zinfandel, and wrote a lot of pages about where this book is headed. And then I read an entire novella (ALL SYSTEMS RED), written from the perspective of a 'murderbot' android in a future space world, which was v. helpful for what I'm trying to do.

And now, I'm going to continue indulging my inner hermit by sleeping as much as possible and then writing all day tomorrow before my social plans commence again. Goodnight!

No comments: