Sunday, February 11, 2024

but i might let you try it off the hennessy

Happy lunar new year! I had a delightful day as my trip to the city of sin comes to a close - and I'm getting ready for it to be over, mostly because I can't keep eating this much amazing food and still fit into my pants.

I got a million hours of sleep last night, which was v. helpful. Then I got up, did some stretching, and showered - I wasn't totally ready to get out into the world, so I was a few minutes late to pick up Chandlord, but I think she forgave me. We went to Sweet Maple for breakfast/brunch - it's one of my old haunts in the Fillmore, and my omelette was excellent (after I sent back the first accident, in which they gave me the asparagus omelette instead of the avocado omelette, which was a real tragedy). I fortunately only ate the omelette and piece of gluten free toast and skipped all the potatoes, which is unusual for me, or else I couldn't have survived my next excursion. Chandlord was also good, and we continued to catch up while walking around Fillmore for a bit and looking at $700 shirts by accident, as one does in San Francisco.

Then I dropped her off at home, went to Ocean Beach, and picked up Veronica so we could head to the glorious south bay. Barbara hosted a baby shower for her daughter Kristen, and since I know both of them v. well, this was one reason why I decided to come to SF this week. The shower was lovely - no stupid baby games, only catered tacos and some excellent desserts. I fortunately only had one taco (even though I wanted two) and a small rice krispie treat, or else I couldn't have survived my next excursion. We spent a couple of hours catching up with Anne, Grace, and Grace's husband Brian, and it was a really nice way to spend the afternoon.

Then I dropped V off at her house, drove across the city to my hotel, took a vital fifteen-minute power nap, refreshed my face slightly, and took an uber to Alchemist. I had never been there before, but it was right up my alley - the space had a v. steampunk vibe, and the cocktails were excellent. Claudia, Sam, John, and Jess met me there, and we all had a drink before walking around the (very big) block to Rooh for dinner. Rooh is a v. upscale Indian place that I also hadn't been to before, and it amuses me that we went without Chandlord and Adit (who were invited but couldn't come).

It turns out that Rooh was incredible - and we went all in on their biggest tasting menu, which came close to killing all of us. The tasting menu involved getting four starters, four mains, and two desserts, which in retrospect was a lot, but we didn't realize they would give us what felt like full portions of all of that. We started with an incredible jackfruit taco, some v. tasty shrimp, some baby corn that was quite nice, and these pork belly things that were absolutely not anything I ever had in India and were also so big that they could have been a main. Then, we had a slight breather before the mains came - butter chicken, monkfish, paneer pinwheels, and some chickpea/taro thing, all of which were incredible.

Needless to say, this was a lot of food, and we were all dying by the end (and then the desserts were also great - a nice cake that happened to be gluten free, and some ice creams). But I would 100% recommend it and would go again - it was easy for me and Claude's gluten free issues, since most Indian food is gluten free anyway, and the ambience and service were quite good.

Of course, catching up with the family was the best part, and we discussed many tings while stuffing ourselves. Then I came back to my hotel, promptly took a tiny nap, messed around on my phone, and now am going to go to bed. I have to pack tomorrow and relocate, and also probably eat another ten meals, so sleep is of the essence. Goodnight!

No comments: