Sunday, February 25, 2024

i think it burns my sense of truth to hear me shouting at my youth

I had a pretty fun day, especially considering that it mostly involved moving tape measures and string around my yard. I'm planning to build a fence, but the property lines on a one-acre yard are a little less obvious than they were when I lived in apartment buildings and half-duplexes. So, since it was bizarrely nice today, [censored] and I went hunting for survey pins buried in the yard.

Thanks to my dad's metal locator (a real upgrade over oldschool metal detectors) + [censored]'s maps of my property + [censored]'s very nice 200ft tape measure, we appear to have found all four pins marking the corners of my yard. It took a couple of hours, but that was surprisingly fast and lucky since we weren't sure where they were and also weren't sure they still existed. After we found them all, [censored] and I ran a string along the line that is most in need of a fence, and spray painted a neon pink dashed line across the yard so we could visualize the fence. Of course, the hope is that this spray painted line also starts training that neighbor not to park shit in my yard - I realize an acre yard is not small and I am not overtly using that space, but it's time to lay down the law.

After we wrapped all that up, we went to the shop to drop off dad's locator + check my tires, and then I came home and wrote most of the rest of the afternoon (after some snacks + some judicious social media breaks). I actually wrote on my balcony for an hour and a half, which is absurd in February - but it was almost seventy degrees, the sun was shining, and I saw my first robin of the year out in the yard. And I killed two mosquitoes who came for me, which is even more absurd in February. So we'll see how hot/bad June is, but for now February is nice enough to want to get outside and enjoy it.

Then, I went out to my parents' house for dinner - Dad was testing his new rotisserie on some chickens, which turned out perfectly but also took about an hour longer to cook than planned. But Mom mad scalloped potatoes to go with them, and it meant that [censored] and I hung out longer than we might otherwise have, so it was a nice evening.

And now, I need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: