Tuesday, February 06, 2024

the calliope crashed to the ground

I'm in the city of sin after a surprisingly easy day of travel. I spent the morning with Ritu and family - her daughters continue to be lovely, and I got to see one off at the bus stop before the other accompanied me to the airport. Ritu also found me while she was only wearing a towel to tell me that King Charles has cancer, which is how I think all such news should be delivered.

Anyway, Ritu took me to the airport, where we said our sad farewells. I got through security in time to grab lunch and an iced coffee before boarding, so the timing was right. The flight was pretty turbulence-free and I wasn't delayed, which was a vast improvement over all the flights that were cancelled yesterday, so I felt lucky.

When I got to SFO, I picked up my bag, picked up a rental car, and drove to my hotel, where I settled in for a bit. Then I met Adit and Chandlord for a late dinner - we went to a place that replaced Locanda, which was my old favorite Italian place. Locanda may have been better for me because they had gluten free pasta and this place doesn't deign to do that. But I decided to cheat for one night and have their pappardelle with bolognese - the pasta was really incredible and felt worth it at the time, although I have a headache now, so we'll see.


But despite our reputations, we only had one bottle of wine and were home by eleven, so this feels like a v grown up start to my visit. And now I must sleep - goodnight!

No comments: