Sunday, September 08, 2024

keep me young forever

Apologies for not blogging yesterday - after a v. eventful day of traveling, I didn't have it in me. I had a v. nice final morning in SF, including a walk to the Ferry Building, a cup of Philz coffee, some tasty gluten free pastry filled with ham and cheese from Mariposa, and some time browsing the farmers' market. Then I took a self-driving car back to my hotel, retrieved my rental car and returned it to the rental center around the corner, and went back to my hotel to shower and finish packing.

It was then that I discovered that I had somehow gotten my timings mixed up; I had had it in my head all morning that I needed to leave at 11:30, but I actually needed to be at the airport no later than 11:30. Luckily I was already almost entirely packed and I didn't really need to wash my hair, so I did a speed run through my final preparations, checked out, and lucked out with no traffic on the way to the airport. I can navigate SFO almost as easily and efficiently as I can navigate DSM, so I checked my bags and was through security in less than ten minutes. I didn't have time to eat a leisurely meal like I usually do, but I made it in time to board without issues.

On the way back to Iowa, I read most of a book (THE GOD OF THE WOODS) and generally had a smooth trip. I still had enough energy to drive when I got to Des Moines, so I drove home last night and caught up with [censored] a bit before going to bed.

Today was pretty low-key - I slept later than planned due to my jetlag, but then I rallied, made some tea, took a shower, and went with [censored] to inspect [censored] before going out to the parents' house. We hung out there for awhile, and there are no good/bad updates of any kind, which I suppose is fine but is mostly frustrating.

Then we came home and I spent the afternoon attempting to do some house tasks, successfully doing laundry, and overall trying to strike a balance between sloth and engagement. At some point I went into town and picked up Mexican takeout, and then I spent the rest of the evening tidying up, folding laundry, and painting my nails.

And now I really need to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: