Sunday, January 07, 2018

i feel like i'm always dreaming

I had meant to log off an hour ago - but at least it's only 10:15pm, rather than 1am like it usually is when I make a statement like that. I spent some quality time tonight answering email, which I believe all of you know is my least favorite activity - and there are lots of things lurking in my inbox, many of which were several months old. I'm still not through everything, but I feel much better about my contribution as a human now that I've gotten through some of them...

The rest of my day was also fantastic, all in all. I woke up at 8:30 feeling like I could have easily slept another couple of hours, but Katie was coming at 9:30, so I needed to get going. However, I was moving v. slowly due to last night's late bedtime (I ended up going to sleep after 2am), so when Katie showed up, I wasn't wearing a shirt and hadn't finished my makeup. The shirt was rectified before she found my front door, and she's seen me without makeup many times (and also as a teenager, when no amount of makeup could fix my face and the makeup choices that I made probably made it all worse).

So Katie hung out upstairs and looked at all the high school photos I found while I slowly put on makeup (it's hard to move fast when you take a break every thirty seconds to look at the photos she was laughing at). I had a real treasure trove of high school stuff, and it was pretty entertaining to look through it all. Then we walked down Pearl Street and had brunch at Zeal - it's very paleo, which was good since we're both doing Whole30 and couldn't eat a lot of brunch options. I didn't totally love the bowl I ordered, but that was my own fault since I don't particularly love kimchi and the fact that I'm doing Whole30 doesn't mean I'm going to like kimchi any better now - but I wanted to taste something different than sweet potatoes and kale, since I get plenty of that in the rest of my life. But the vibe was delightfully Boulderish, which is very similar to Palo Alto or Berkeley or Marin - rich people pretending to be progressive hippies by eating free range organic food and complaining about economic growth while simultaneously blocking all property development so that their personal real estate wealth will keep going up.

So I enjoyed my $5 kickstart coffee (coffee with coconut oil and butter, so silicon valley) and my meandering conversation with Katie - it felt right at home (because it's not so different from San Francisco) and also totally alien (because it was the first meal I had out since getting back from Iowa, and Zeal is pretty much the opposite of Seymour's only restaurant).

Then I gave Katie a tour of the new office building, and then we went to Whole Foods together (what is it about produce sections that prompts inappropriate conversations?). Then she went back to her family and I spent some quality time doing absolutely nothing. I also called my parents, who were in fine form. And then I procrastinated some more before making dinner (the second ribeye in my fridge, which I stopped cooking at the rare point so that I wouldn't set off the smoke alarm) and answering emails (yay/boo).

And now I need to unwind and consider going to bed - goodnight!

No comments: