Saturday, January 20, 2018

swore we would never die

I had a v. quiet day at home, which is exactly what I wanted - or exactly what part of me wanted, since the other part wanted to be doing a million things, most of them writing or exploring. But after my late arrival last night, I slept late this morning, and then indulged in a couple of hours of coffee and journaling.

This kind of threw me off for the rest of the day since I had no food in the house beyond some stuff to make scrambled eggs and also a can of tuna to eat later, but the coffee/journaling in the morning was delightful. In the afternoon, I showered, ran a couple of errands, and picked up a bunch of groceries at Whole Foods. It was a bit of a zoo, although not as bad as I was worried it might be - we're supposed to get a bunch of snow tonight, so I assumed some people would be stocking up.

Then I came home, messed around online, and made some vegetable beef stew - I think I underseasoned it, and I also think it wasn't exactly what I wanted in retrospect (the concept was, but since I'm avoiding corn I couldn't have that in the soup, nor could I brown the meat with flour, and I used tapioca starch to thicken it...and also the recipe called for wine, which I didn't want to open since I knew I would want to drink the rest of it, so I think it turned out a little bland). But I'm sure it will be better tomorrow.

I also spent several hours finishing the book I started on the plane yesterday - A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES. It was super hyped and evvvverywhere a couple of years ago, and it had been sitting on my Kobo without me ever quite wanting to pick it up - but I happened to open it last night as we were taxiing toward takeoff, and I read it the whole way to Denver. I finished it tonight, and I thought it was really great; the first part was somewhat predictable since I realized almost immediately that it was a Beauty and the Beast retelling, and the beats and patterns of that story are woven into my bones. But it was quite lovely, all in all, and I've already downloaded the next book to start when I have a moment.

But now I need to go to sleep - I currently have no idea how tomorrow will shape up given this snow situation. I had made a rather impromptu decision last week that I should fly back to SF tomorrow for a Monday meeting that it would be best for me to do in person, and then fly back Monday night - but the prospect of ice and delays has me nervous. I preemptively moved myself to a later flight so that I wouldn't have to attempt an airport drive in the dark, which means I don't have to decide anything until morning (or pack, since I only have to take a change of clothes and some makeup). But hopefully the weather isn't that bad and everything is smooth tomorrow - or hopefully it's so bad that everything is canceled and I can hole up in my cozy apartment with soup and a book and no guilt. Either way, tomorrow will be interesting, so I should sleep now - goodnight!

No comments: