Monday, January 15, 2018

hold back the river let me look in your eyes

Apologies for not blogging last night. I've had a v. eventful couple of days in my old hometown, starting with brunch with Heather (aka dear respected madam) yesterday, which was a perfect way to end my time with her. Then I drove from San Jose to Marin to see Grace - Grace is one of my favorite writerly people, and while our time together was all too brief, we enjoyed some delightful conversation over tea next to a (nonfunctioning) fire pit at a store near her house.

Then I drove back to the city of sin and had a v. perfect (for me) night - I actually gave myself a night off from the social whirl, went to Gardenias (v. near my hotel, and a place I'm v. familiar with) and had a pork chop and three glasses of wine while journaling for a v. long time. No, wine isn't whole30 approved - I've decided that while I'm traveling the whole30 thing is v. difficult, but I'm being v. strict on grains and sugar and mostly strict where possible on the rest of the weird restrictions. And if this is the last time I'll be in SF for awhile, my soul craved one of my favorite kind of nights - holed up at the bar of a nice restaurant, watching the wait staff execute their carefully orchestrated dance while sipping wine and writing in my journal.

It was #worthit, but when I came to my hotel I was so tired that I fell into bed without even taking my contacts out, let alone washing off my makeup. Oops. I didn't sleep all that well, no doubt impeded even more by the guy outside at 4am who was either high or mentally ill (or both) and kept screaming about killing someone and stabbing them in the eyes. Since I'm on the sixth floor, it's clear this guy was really going for his verbal threats, even though I heard nothing to indicate that he was talking to anyone but himself.

Today was super fun, all in all. I got up earlier than I wanted to to move my car, which was made slightly more interesting by the dead bat on my windshield (I did not touch it, obvi, since rabies is not my jam). Then I showered and drove to the dirty east bay to have brunch with John and Jess. I was going to make it clear that I am in it for John and Jess instead of Saul's (which is not entirely true), but since Jess made it clear immediately that she was there to eat my bagel (which comes with my order even though I can't eat it), I think all pretenses of friendship are over.

sssanyway. We had a delightful breakfast (don't call it lunch), and then they went home to retrieve the baby from the nanny and I got my nails done in a rather impromptu fashion. Then I drove back to the evil city and went to the marina for awhile, where I sat/watched the water/journaled/wandered around Fort Mason and bought a stupidly expensive $6 juice.

Then I went to visit Lauren (aka Subz) - we had tea and sympathy at a cafe near her house, and it was perfect. I, of course, wish that we had more time, but child duties called. But I'm glad we're still friends almost thirteen years after living together in India (and almost sixteen years after I went to Berlin with her now-husband), and it's always great to hang out with her.

Then I went to my old haunt at Morning Due and had a snack and journaled some more before meeting up with Adit (no one calls him the cat) at Schmidt's, where we had heated mulled wine and conversation until we both had to rendezvous with our other plans. In my case, that meant picking up Vidya (aka Chandlord) and dragging her to the Marina so we could eat at Bistro Aix (one of my old faves). I had the chicken and we split the burrata (ooops, dairy, but #sarasnotsorry).

But now I really need to sleep since I have to get up in seven hours - goodnight!

No comments: