Friday, March 29, 2019

I do my makeup in somebody else's car

I'm back in one of my most favorite cities, where thousands of years of history and culture collide with the 21st-century world of tech and finance and global politics. London speaks to me like few places do, and I realize that's bizarre since I didn't grow up here and don't have ties here (well, beyond the fact that Uncle Mark found an ancestor who fought at the Battle of Hastings and became the Earl of Surrey for his efforts, back when earls were super powerful and not just country-song stereotypes...but I digress).

sssanyway, I spent this morning packing up my stuff in Dublin, and I had a few hours of meetings (including one where I spent an hour deep in conversation with Alice about a project, and then she said she had something to tell me... Which I took to mean she was resigning, which would have been hilarious and terrible given our conversation, but instead she just wanted to tell me that she could make ice cream tonight). Then, Alice, Chris and I went to the airport, where everything was totally smooth. I slept for most of the flight, but it wasn't enough to revive me from a week of full-on people mode. So I skipped hanging out, and instead I checked into my hotel (an old railroad hotel in St Pancras station, since I can't deny the call of the rails in my blood), and then I ate a late dinner and journaled and generally recharged.

And now it's time to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: