Tuesday, March 19, 2019

used to play pretend give each other different names

Today started with a four-hour meeting known as calibrations, where managers sit locked in a small, increasingly claustrophobic room and justify their team's performance ratings to other managers. In other words, WELCOME TO THUNDERDOME.

However, I emerged from the thunderdome fairly unscathed - it probably helps that I've been through like twenty of these, so I'm like the grizzled old veteran who's seen it all and just sits calmly with a cigarette while the bombs start falling. Unfortunately, I made the rookie move of not blocking a break after the calibrations, so I went straight into another three hours of meetings after that, none of which I was in the mood/mental space to handle, but I survived it all.

Then I went to Target to stock up on some stuff, grabbed dinner at Motomaki, had a v. quick work call to debrief on something, and then spent two hours hanging out (on hangout) with Joann. We had a lot to catch up on, which we did while she ate and I drank wine, and it was wonderful to talk to her.

Unfortunately, I still had some work to do after that, so I procrastinated by trimming my bangs (we'll see how they look in the morning, since I violated my cardinal rule of not cutting my hair when I've had wine....but desperate times), then worked for the last two hours. And now that it's after midnight, it's definitely time for bed - goodnight!

No comments: