Wednesday, March 13, 2019

the clouds breathe for you

It was a snow day, but it doesn't feel like the snow days of my childhood, when there was nothing to work on and nothing to do other than read and hope the power didn't go out. I was still hoping today that the power wouldn't go out (it didn't), but I worked straight from 9:30 to 6, took a break to make dinner, and then worked for a couple of hours tonight. The downside of a distributed office culture is that I'm used to working with people over videoconference anyway, which I can do from home.

However, the serious upside of today was that the blizzard wasn't really at all blizzardy in Boulder - we're too close to the mountains, and the wind doesn't have enough legroom to really get going up here. But some of my Denver coworkers lost power by ten a.m., and it sounds like many people had a rather miserable day of it. In my area, the snow fell pretty fast for a couple of hours this morning - and it fell on top of what had been rain for several hours, so I wonder how slick it is outside. But all in all it could have been worse.

Also, the other serious upside was that I followed through on making a new dish that I wanted to try - a chicken chile verde in my instant pot. It took way longer than half an hour - these recipes never include the time it takes for the pot to come up to pressure, only the time that it cooks under pressure, which sometimes almost doubles the timing. But I'm sure instant pot has seriously discouraged any sort of accurate reporting on that, since it takes away from the 'instant' moniker.

That said, the chicken was fucking delicious. I wasn't able to find the anaheim peppers last night (Whole Foods was sold out), and I would probably use serranos instead of jalapenos next time because I wanted a little more heat, but really, this was quite delicious. I also made some cilantro lime rice to eat with it, and that turned out pretty tasty too - so all in all, it was a total win (and a good way to relax with a knife for awhile, which is why my mood called for).

And now I need to sleep - the other other serious upside about today was that I wrote before work, and I'd like to keep it up. Goodnight!

No comments: