Thursday, April 18, 2019

your hand in mine is all i want

I'm in ye olde Iowa, where I arrived yesterday after a day that was simultaneously v. relaxing and a total mad scramble. I woke up at seven yesterday and was going to write, but instead drank coffee and dealt with house stuff (both the house I'm buying and the house I'm renting). Then I showered, tidied up a bit, started packing....and suddenly realized there was a risk I was going to be late.

So I finished packing in a rather panicked fashion, then drove to the airport. I was actually early enough to have a salad and a glass of rosé at Elway's, which calmed my nerves a bit - which was a good thing, since it was turbulent going both up and down. [censored] picked me up, and we had supper at a Mexican restaurant called Old West (not sure why their 'fajitas Montana' had pineapple in it, but I didn't try it, and if that was the only weird thing on the menu, I suppose I'll take it). Then we drove home, after a brief stop at a v. sketchy home improvement store, and I spent the rest of the evening talking to the parents.

That trend continued today - I spent most of the day hanging out in the kitchen, showing them photos and videos and paint chips, among other things. However, we had to leave the comfort of our middle-of-nowhere to drive up to Des Moines. We had dinner with Aunt B, Uncle B, Aunt Kathy, and Drewbaby at a Brazilian steakhouse that opened last year. It was really really delicious - lots of different, excellent meats (although I ate three of the sausages, even though they were probably the cheapest thing there, because I couldn't help myself), and lots of tasty sides and salads.

Of course, it was weird that Mark wasn't there, and will continue to be weird. But there's nothing anyone can do about that - so now that I'm home and in my bed, I think I'll sleep. Goodnight!

No comments: