Saturday, September 18, 2021

i played it hard and fast 'cause i had everything

I had an extremely hermity, lazy day today - perhaps to be expected since I'm still recovering, but I haven't spent four straight days in my house without leaving in awhile, so I may be getting bored. My abdomen is still pretty sore, but it's not as bad as it was, so I didn't have to take anything stronger than ibuprofen (although right now I'm tempted). And I'm clearly more tired than usual, since I took at least three naps today (#noregrets).

Otherwise, I have v. little to report - I finished FOUR THOUSAND WEEKS this morning, and it was v. thought-provoking. It's basically an anti-productivity book - or rather, the premise is that if you can let go of beliefs around perfection, maximum productivity, attempts to get everything done, grandiose visions of what might be (and all the doors you leave open just in case), etc. and instead focus on the couple of things that really matter to you, that level of acceptance is the only way to come to terms with the human condition and do the things that you should be doing. This feels like a good reminder - I have, after all, been prioritizing everything but writing for a long time, ostensibly for good reasons, but I no longer want to put it off for some distant day where I theoretically might have more time.

At some point I had a ham sandwich for lunch, and took a couple of aforementioned naps, and basically messed around online. I also ordered dinner from a Mexican plan I hadn't tried before, and the enchiladas were exactly what I needed (even if my stomach briefly rebelled after several days of soup and snacks). And tonight I started reading THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS AN EASY JOB - it's fiction, translated from Japanese, and it has some v. surreal elements as the nameless protagonist goes between slightly-supernatural temp jobs looking for something mindless to do while recovering from burnout. So far I'm enjoying it, although I can't quite tell where it's headed yet.

And now, I think I should attempt to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: