Thursday, September 23, 2021

sometimes i wish i was on an island, but then i'd miss the sound of sirens

I am slowly but surely getting better. It still feels somewhat uncomfortable to sit in a regular chair, and so I'm intensely glad that I'm not driving back to Iowa this weekend as I had briefly considered a few weeks ago (back when I thought this surgery was No Big Deal). But I am sleeping better, and I'm not quite as tired in the afternoon, so I'll take it.

I had a pretty lowkey work day - I had some meetings off and on from 9:30 to 1, but I successfully avoided meetings the rest of the day. So I got a couple of things done, but I also let myself slack off a bit in the interest of recovering. At the end of the day, I drove my car for the first time since surgery - I wasn't prohibited from driving (except for when I was on narcotic painkillers), but it didn't feel comfortable until today. It still wasn't entirely comfortable, but I was able to do it long enough to mail some things, drive through the car wash, and drive through the pharmacy to pick up a prescription, so I will take all of that as a sign of progress.

I then spent the rest of the evening messing around, eating leftovers, and checking out my neighbors' place. The people I share a wall with are selling abruptly, and if they sell for what they're asking for I will be elated at what that means for my property values because it's really stupidly high. My neighbor called tonight to ask if I could run over and shut off the lights that the realtor had left on for showings, so I got to walk through it without having to wait to snoop at the open house. It's a bizarro version of my place since everything is a mirror image - I like how they upgraded their kitchen, and they have hardwood floors in their master bedroom, but otherwise it's pretty identical (and I have a nicer patio). So we'll see how that goes - and if you want to spend a stupid amount of money to be my neighbor, now is your chance!

And now, I should sleep - I'm sure my recovery has been helped by the fact that I've been getting a good amount of sleep, but I have to be on starting at nine tomorrow, which is earlier than I've been on in weeks, and so going to bed now is a v. good idea. Goodnight!

No comments: