Thursday, September 09, 2021

treasure maps, fallen trees, operator, please

Finally, some good news - my dad had another procedure today and it went really well, so hopefully that means he'll get out of the hospital tomorrow. That means I might get to see him for ~24hrs before flying back to Colorado, so that's pretty exciting!

I took today off, and I'm taking tomorrow off as well - it was perhaps not strictly necessary, but also my brain is completely fried and I can't keep alternating between catastrophes + career without even a few minutes of break. And today I wanted to be up in Des Moines in case things did not go well, even though there was no point in going up as early as my mom did just so that I could sit outside the hospital and wait. So I got up at my usual time and did a bunch of stuff around the house before heading up to the city. When I got up there, I went to Target before I went to the hospital - I had some tings to pick up and this seemed to be as good a time as any. Just as I was checking out, my mom called and said they were taking my dad into his procedure - so I drove to the hospital and sat near my favorite parking lot tree, alternating between reading twitter and napping while waiting for news.

Luckily the news was good - if it had been bad, that would have been a) tragic and b) hard to deal with while sitting alone in a parking lot, since [censored] had to work today. So, since it was good news, I chatted with my mom briefly and then drove home. That got me here in time to do a tiny bit of day job stuff and eat a bunch of leftover pizza + do some laundry before my mom got home, and then we hung out for awhile.

And now, I should sleep - I did another 30min or so of day job stuff when I came downstairs, but hopefully I can be mostly off tomorrow so that I can do some stuff to help get things settled around here. Goodnight!

No comments: