Sunday, September 05, 2021

that missing piece is found

I am unfortunately in ye olde Iowa - my misfortune is tied to the reason that brought me here, not to the fact that I'm in Iowa per se (since I like Iowa enough to visit regularly, clearly I don't consider flying into Des Moines to be a misfortune). My dad is in the hospital in Des Moines, and while he's stable and is apparently his usual jokester self, it's unclear what's happening or why. I wasn't here for the episode that resulted in his hospital stay (thanks to my mom and [censored] for being there!), but I caught the first flight to Iowa this morning.

So, that's all rather unfortunate. I don't know how long I'll be here, but fingers crossed they're able to do some more tests in the next couple of days and find a treatment plan so that he can come home.

In the meantime, I'm mostly schlepping things and people around. [censored] picked me up at the airport this morning, and we took lunch to Mom before driving to our hometown. Since my dad can only have one visitor a day, that mostly leaves [censored] and I either sitting in a parking lot or perhaps being at home (if we're okay being an hour and a half from the hospital). This time, we drove home, where we discovered that the air conditioner is broken (lol). So [censored] dealt with that, while I grabbed a few things that had been forgotten in the mad dash to get my dad to the hospital. Then I drove back to Des Moines, handed those things to my mom, grabbed a snack at a gas station (a surprisingly adequate microwaveable tamale that was gluten free), and then drove my mom back home. It's unclear whether tomorrow will hold similar amounts of driving - but if it does, I really need to get some sleep first. Goodnight!

No comments: