Sunday, September 26, 2021

faster than a hairpin trigger

I had a lovely, lowkey sort of day - partially driven by the fact that I didn't go to bed until after one and also didn't set an alarm, so woke up sometime around ten. This is what my body naturally wants to do, but it's rough to revert to form on weekends and then have to get up like a corporate drone again on Monday morning. So even though it's currently 12:18 and I feel like I could stay up another hour or two, I'm going to attempt to go to bed after this.

sssanyway, I woke up, made coffee, and had a very leisurely morning / afternoon. This mostly involved sitting on my back patio, which is perfect this time of year. At some point, I retreated to my bedroom and took a nap. And that was pretty much the extent of my day, which made it quite delightful.

My evening was even more delightful, though - Katie made a reservation for us at Fifth String, which may be my favorite restaurant in Denver. We got there at 5:15, which is early for dinner (but preferable to not having dinner), and we spent a couple of hours in perfect bliss on their patio. It felt like a good way to bookend the summer - we had gone there for our first fancy meal out this spring, and this felt like the last meal of the summer since I'll be in Iowa for a couple of weeks and then winter will probably be here. We had a sumptuous meal - oysters to start, and then I had some crispy potatoes with melted cheese and shishito peppers, and then a dish with a variety of scallops, fish, and mussels in this amazing broth. Dessert was bleu cheese with cherries, and it was perfect. And of course Katie and I went deep on a variety of topics, which is always my favorite thing to do.

And now, I should go to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: