Thursday, December 16, 2021

check your passport, it's no trick, take the chapstick, put it on your lips

It's almost one a.m., but if I go to bed now it will still be earlier than I managed to go to bed last night. Today panned out pretty much how I wanted it to, though - I got up too late to get quite as much done as I intended, but I enjoyed what I did do.

The main task for the late morning was starting a bolognese sauce that takes approximately five hours to cook. It's not a complicated recipe, but each step has to cook down, and then it has to simmer for at least three hours after that. The end result was excellent and well worth the effort, but it did require some chopping / stirring / monitoring for quite awhile.

Once it got to the simmer stage, I spent the rest of the afternoon doing house stuff - I put together a console table for my living room (which took awhile, since it involved 32 bolts), washed and changed my duvet cover, and vacuumed most of the carpeted areas of the house. Eventually, I had to stop doing house stuff and shower, and then I took my sauce and some other items and went out to my parents' house.

As it turns out, the sauce was well received - when I got there, I boiled some water, made gluten free spaghetti, and also made garlic bread (technically texas toast with garlic) while heating the sauce back up. My dad seemed to enjoy it, which was kind of a surprise because 1) his appetite isn't always great and 2) he sometimes turns his nose up at my non-midwestern recipes. And my mom seemed to enjoy it too, both because of the taste and because she didn't have to cook it. So, everyone was a winner!

After that, I spent some time figuring out Christmas gifts for my sister's family, which took awhile. Then I came back to my house, tidied up the kitchen, and ordered some more stuff for my house. And now, I need to sleep before I completely ruin the morning - goodnight!

No comments: