Sunday, December 12, 2021

you don't ever wanna step off that roller coaster and be all alone

I had another great day in Hawaii - today was warmer and I felt like I got a little too much sun, but otherwise it was lovely. I continue to wake up absurdly early, so I put on some clothes and journaled downstairs while drinking coffee and watching some ducks (cute: ducklings!; not cute: two adult ducks fighting over their little patch of koi pond). Then, Heather (aka dear respected) madam and I had breakfast before staking out our pool chairs for the day.

Today was almost cloudless, which sounds paradisiacal, but in reality it just meant that there was no break from the sun. That meant I spent more time hanging out in the pool today - it's only 3.5' deep, so even I can hang around in it comfortably, and it's definitely meant for lounging rather than swimming. So, we hung out and talked; we had lunch by the pool; I tried to read a book about writing and storytelling but mostly just lazed around. At some point I awoke with a jolt from whatever half-nap I was in and decided I needed to get some air conditioning immediately or else I was going to die, but once I cooled off from that moment, the rest of the afternoon was smooth sailing.

Towards the end of the afternoon, I came upstairs and showered - Heather was already in our room, since she gave up on the sun before I did. Then we wandered around and window shopped for a bit before grabbing dinner at Buho - a Mexican place that I came to when I was here for a writing conference oh so many years ago. It was not as good as I remembered from a food standpoint, but it's open air on a rooftop, and my covid wariness certainly appreciated that.

Then we came back to the hotel and I took care of some personal business while Heather read. And now I should consider going to sleep - goodnight!

No comments: